Fitting a 1500 inverta ,advice

molly 2

I am considering fitting 1500w inverta ,mainly for very occasional use of a microwave
My main sollar is a 200 portable panel + 100 w on the roof , no room for more
A 110 amp lead carbon battery ,
I have 3 x 240 v sockets Inside the van + inaccessible wired microwave
Sargent 328 system , autosleeper nuevo van
Can I wire the inverta to power the 240 v sockets and microwave safely, if so how ,
Hope this makes sense , Bazz

If you are having to ask the question, then I strongly recommend that you get the job done by a professional.

However, even with a proper job done by an expert I think your battery is on the small size.
A 110 amp hour (not 110 amp which is very different) battery will give just over 50 amp hours before it is flat.
Using a 1000 w device via an inverter will use 50 amp hours in 30 minutes.

The suitability of your solar depends of what time of year you use the van and whereabouts you are.
The table below shows a typical daily harvest from a 150w horizontal roof solar so you need to take a third of these figures.
As you can see you should be OK anywhere in July but the rest of the year is a different kettle of fish.
If January in Marbella it will take a couple of days to replace 50 ah and in Aberdeen about 10 days.

Best solution is to save the Microwave meals for sites with EHU (I'm not going to mention the "G" word.)

solaroutput.jpg

Just be aware of the size of microwave in addition to the other comments. As an example a 800w MW may have an initial startup spike of 1200w. 1000w maybe 1500w which may not be started by your inverter - don’t ask how I know this !

A 800w m wave will require at least double on an inverter& a bit more to stop it tripping with a start spike, so 2000w inverter and at least 2/3 lead carbons.
Keep all the leads as short as possable, may also be a good idea to keep the engine running at about 1.500 rpm when doing the cooking.
If you had lipo4 then no problem.

A 800w m wave will require at least double on an inverter& a bit more to stop it tripping with a start spike, so 2000w inverter and at least 2/3 lead carbons.
Keep all the leads as so why short as possable, may also be a good idea to keep the engine running at about 1.500 rpm when doing the cooking.
I find at home my microwave only runs for 5 minutes at the most so why would I need 320 w of lead carbon, my van has a smart alternator and puts very little ln to leisure battery , I get by OK, so don't need a B t B

Last edited:
I have 2 x 120 AH batteries and 700w M'wave, 2K inverter 3k surge. When batts fully charged the inverter (wired in 16 mm CSA I think) sometimes trips on low voltage. To stop this tripping I start the engine so the B2B can put 60 amps into the system while the microwave is on for a few minutes saving high battery discharge

Last edited:
I find at home my microwave only runs for 5 minutes at the most so why would I need 320 w of lead carbon, my van has a smart alternator and puts very little ln to leisure battery , I get by OK, so don't need a B t B
Because in truth you only at best have about 40% true usable of the total cap of the bats, they will recover some what but say late at night you need as much left in them as possable.
I have 2 90ah lead acids and they can just about run a 400w heater for about maybe 10 mins max before the inverter shuts down due to low voltage.
Your m wave may/will draw to hard and shut the inverter due to voltage drop.

If you are having to ask the question, then I strongly recommend that you get the job done by a professional.

However, even with a proper job done by an expert I think your battery is on the small size.
A 110 amp hour (not 110 amp which is very different) battery will give just over 50 amp hours before it is flat.
Using a 1000 w device via an inverter will use 50 amp hours in 30 minutes.

The suitability of your solar depends of what time of year you use the van and whereabouts you are.
The table below shows a typical daily harvest from a 150w horizontal roof solar so you need to take a third of these figures.
As you can see you should be OK anywhere in July but the rest of the year is a different kettle of fish.
If January in Marbella it will take a couple of days to replace 50 ah and in Aberdeen about 10 days.

Best solution is to save the Microwave meals for sites with EHU (I'm not going to mention the "G" word.)

View attachment 130533

Keep all the leads as short as possable, may also be a good idea to keep the engine running at about 1.500 rpm when doing the cooking.
I agree trev a lipo4 is an option but would like to know how to connect to existing sockets , I had an ecoflow that worked great just plugged it into hook up socket and everything worked including the microwave . I returned it because it had a solar charging fault and i was eventually given full refund ,that took over 3 months so very reluctant to buy another ,

Last edited:
I agree trev a lipo4 is an option but would like to know how to connect to existing sockets , I had an ecoflow that worked great just plugged it into hook up socket and everything worked including the microwave . I returned it because it had a solar charging fault and i was eventually given full refund ,that took over 3 months so very reluctant to buy another ,
There are other brands, I'm sure Gordon (@The laird) has a Vtoman which he saaid is very good 🤔
This one has a 1500watt inverter:

Regards,
Del

That's correct I do use the Vtoman 1500 flash power station and have found it superb run micro valve ,air fryer,heater etc off it no probs
Also recharge time on mains under 60 mins

Last edited:
Back