Connecting M/H solar into house circuit?

Thanks for your replies.
What I was thinking in my technical ignorance was that I could tee into the solar feed down to the Victron regulator in the van and then tee that feed into the house solar panel wiring thereby using the inverter/regulator that is on the house system.
Would that work?
You need to disconnect the feed from van solar to your vans regulator, this is why I suggested a Anderson plug, you unplug the van solar panel from regulator and plug it into the lead to house invertor.

A friend of mine has a lovely burn scar across his hand where someone did that to power up an additional porta cabin on site, without his knowledge.
I did say in large bold letters BODGE and it was in my own van and not going to be unplugged ever, and secured to prevent any accidental removal, and I removed it before even showing it to anyone.

I did say in large bold letters BODGE and it was in my own van and not going to be unplugged ever, and secured to prevent any accidental removal, and I removed it before even showing it to anyone.
We'll both agree it's not a great thing to do. My friend thought that as well.

What gauge cable would be best for this application?
Before you connect anything to anything else you should make sure that the 2 systems are essentially using the same voltage. Your van array is almost certainly working at the 17- 20 ish volts but will vary depending on the amount of sun and the load.
The image of your french system shows 4 panels, those panels will probably be very similar BUT they could very well be connected up in series or series/parallel thus sending either 20, 40 or 80 volts into the house (grid tie) inverter.
First thing to do is check the voltage on the INPUT to your house inverter with a reasonable amount of sun. If it measures high teens ISH then connecting in the van panels ( check the input to the van solar controller too just to confirm similarities) then linking them up is possible.
Cable length will determine the guage you need.
Use this calculator to determine the percentage of power you'll be losing across the cables.
Use 18V as the voltage and say 13Amps as the maximum current (13X18= your 240watt van array)

I read that some evangelist can run their homes from their EV s , to power the house especially In power cuts

A country can relatively easily generate 100% of it's power needs from renewables ie wind and solar, what the country DOESN'T have is a huge battery to store enough of that energy for periods when the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow. The theory goes that the solution is to split that huge battery into small parts and have a smaller battery in each household along with an inverter, we then store our own power. Effectively we can use the EV battery for this. Apparently it's the future unless we manage to crack fusion.??

Are you adding solar voltage output or invertor 240v ????

Take pictures of controller and panels and post both labels.
4 panels can be 1200w so 48volts
Go to house panels solar controller and see voltage while you are there with multi meter see what size your invertor is 12v 24, 48v. From Output of controller.
!

Can be done but will need Cable and solar controller probably.

1 thing I would not do is 240v from van as that is a waste of power as it would be on 24 7. Id just connect solar from roof .

I know victron can link invertors x2 as a generators do you have that kind of invertor ?

Are you adding solar voltage output or invertor 240v ????

Take pictures of controller and panels and post both labels.
4 panels can be 1200w so 48volts
Go to house panels solar controller and see voltage while you are there with multi meter see what size your invertor is 12v 24, 48v. From Output of controller.
!

Can be done but will need Cable and solar controller probably.

1 thing I would not do is 240v from van as that is a waste of power as it would be on 24 7. Id just connect solar from roof .

I know victron can link invertors x2 as a generators do you have that kind of invertor ?

Hello
Thanks for your replies.
I intend taking the solar voltage from the van panels, bypassing the Victron smart solar regulator and straight into the house inverter system and through the BeemBox to give me the input details.
The house inverter is at present 400w but I intend to upgrade to 800w.
The panels are each 110w.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back